forrestertailor: Illustration of a black vampire with an impressive black and white tinged beard. He is calm and very handsome with bright yellow eyes. (Default)
[personal profile] forrestertailor
Younger vampires were easy to spot, in Luka's estimation. There were a number of factors: baring, clothing, the state of their eyes, their nails, in they shied or demurred from conversations. It was not, he could admit, easy to guess just how young one might be but that was where his handicap played a role. A vampire from the Court of the Sun King was about as old to him as someone who had seen the Crystal Palace at the '53 World's Fair.

He guessed the young woman in front of him was closer to the Palace than Court. And, as was the case with many young vampires, closer to her humanity than he to his.
Watching her, he hummed and distracted himself and made noises at the work of Julius Victor Berger on the wall in front of him.

They were at an estate sale, part of the usual machinations of the city as the world turned slowly but surely into the new century. A townhouse on Hyde Park was being liquidated and there was a townhouse's worth of furniture and art and odds and ends to get rid of.

He hummed and indicated the painting, a portrait of a wine drunk woman in rosy pink satin playing a mandolin, to the young girl when he felt a cold spot brush close to him. He gestured with his homburg at the work, looking down at her from the corner of his eye.

"I'd love a glass of whatever she's had." He said lightly.

Date: 2023-10-03 06:06 pm (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
Her arms full of books, she jumps as if apparently surprised to be perceived, looking like a small tortoiseshell cat in her momentary fright. She's as pale as the old papers in her arms, with with bright splotches in her cheeks like a person taken with a fever. She looks up at him from behind glasses she doesn't need (but people ask questions if you get so sick you nearly die and you somehow come back with better eyesight).

"Oh. Yes, I suppose. She does seem very happy to be drunk." Her voice has a peculiar hushed quality to it, like the rustling of pages. "I think the people managing the sale had some wine." It smelled like bottom shelf grocery store wine to her nose, however.
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
Being without a formal sire and without any sort of companionship of her own kind, she's terrible about remembering the etiquette. It takes her a moment to realize she's talking to a vampire at all, never mind a very old and strange one. When she does, she nearly drops her books, unsure what to do with herself. She just tries to make herself look as small as possible, convey that she's not a threat or intrusion.

"The departed had an extensive library in my areas of interest. I would rather have acquired it more formally but the family didn't really want to deal with the paperwork. So here I am, trying to grab what I can."

Date: 2023-10-04 12:02 am (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
"Oh!" She juggles the books around comically for a moment until she can get a free hand to return the gesture.

"Forgive me, I always forget my manners." She says, sheepishly. "I'm never expecting to run into any of our sort when I'm out and about. Or...at all really. You have been kinder than most about it. I am Doctor Evangeline Nix."

Date: 2023-10-04 02:00 am (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Modern dress ; lofty)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
She looks at him like he's showing her a dance step she's never seen. She shrinks further around her stack of books, like a cat trying to flatten itself with fear.

"I don't follow, I'm so sorry." She says, echoing the motion uncertainly, in a much more abbreviated fashion. "And are you sure it's wise, with humans around?"

Date: 2023-10-04 02:50 am (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
"I have no idea." She says, her face turning to an unpleasant blotchiness as her bloodless body tries to blush. "Please, I don't know anything about how to do this. I never learned how. All I can do is beg your forgiveness." Her large, mercury gray eyes are wide with fear, as if her previous encounters with other vampires have been cause of great distress.

Date: 2023-10-04 01:16 pm (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
She shakes his hand and then wraps her arms around her books again. She looks like she desperately wants to escape, even though he's piqued her curiosity.

"What are you doing at the estate sale? I don't usually encounter...our sort during daylight hours."

Date: 2023-10-04 03:17 pm (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
"Well at least I've removed the temptation of a few silly books." She says. "So you'll have a bit less to worry about if you finally lose your sense of restraint."

Date: 2023-10-04 04:15 pm (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
"Oh I'm not a medical doctor. Not... not anymore." She was one of the first women in London to get a medical degree but those credentials probably aren't worth much anymore. "I'm an...archivist, I suppose. At the
Society for the Study of the Paranatural, Occult and Crypto-Scientific. So these books are--" She gestures vaguely. "Relevant to those interests. So, silly to most."

Date: 2023-10-04 05:34 pm (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Modern dress ; lofty)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
And any number of other things I've seen, hurts I've suffered, people I've watched die in front of my eyes, she thinks. "Some of them are quite silly but are nevertheless important to the history of the field." She shrugs. "Mostly spiritualist and psychical research books, a quite a bit about British psychogeography."

Date: 2023-10-04 06:32 pm (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
It does. She has had very little dealings with her own kind, whom she's largely afraid of. Firstly because of her own violent turning by something unlike any other vampire she's encountered since and because most of London's urbane vampires disdain her.
She's trying to reconcile that fear with Luka, who hasn't been any worse to her than teasing her despite his imposing appearance.

"An extra pair of hands would probably be good." She says, frowning at the precarious stack. "I came here on my bike, so it would probably be difficult to get everything balanced on my own." Not that she isn't used to managing, since even this long in the world she still doesn't drive.

Faaaaair, buddy

Date: 2023-10-04 08:24 pm (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
"Oh, no. As long as I wear long sleeves and sunglasses, I'll be alright." The sun is getting less bearable as time goes on, but for now she's doesn't seem in danger of burning to ash under it, at least. "I won't go out in the daytime for a couple of days and I'll be perfectly fine." Granted, the sunburn isn't pretty but to most people it would look normal, at least.

Date: 2023-10-04 08:56 pm (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
"It went...differently for me, I'm coming to understand." She says, carefully. "Becoming this, I mean. Others seem to turn all at once. I seem to be sliding slowly into it, as into a long, lethal illness. As if afflicted by a bite from a sick animal. I still think, sometimes, that I can feel my heart beating."

Date: 2023-10-05 02:27 am (UTC)
ladyevangelinenix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix
"The vampire who infected me? No. It is dead." She says, her impersonal tone backing up her description that she hadn't been made on purpose but rather attacked and turned as if attacked by a rabid animal. "I think it thought I was dead, seemed more like a carrion feeder, perhaps it was the transfer of saliva that did it."

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-05 12:37 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-05 06:31 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-06 10:46 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-07 02:46 am (UTC) - Expand

My first tag was better though T^T

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-08 01:29 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-08 02:39 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-08 12:29 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-08 05:06 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-08 06:28 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-08 07:20 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-08 08:22 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-08 09:05 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-08 10:56 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-09 12:40 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-09 02:42 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-09 01:50 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-09 03:10 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-09 05:06 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-09 06:33 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-09 11:47 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-10 06:34 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-10 09:20 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-11 12:01 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-14 10:45 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-15 11:28 pm (UTC) - Expand

And what walls they are *_*

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-17 04:07 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-18 07:12 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-19 04:30 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-19 03:35 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-20 12:43 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-20 02:01 pm (UTC) - Expand

Omg I love her T^T

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-20 04:18 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-21 02:57 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-21 12:38 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-22 02:04 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-22 08:19 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-23 07:09 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-23 07:45 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-24 02:46 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-24 05:42 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-25 02:19 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-26 01:36 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-26 07:21 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-26 08:51 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-27 05:03 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-27 02:58 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-10-28 02:02 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-11-13 02:26 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-11-14 02:53 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-11-14 11:01 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-11-17 01:28 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-11-18 02:30 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-11-20 10:31 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-11-25 10:35 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-12-05 08:03 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-12-13 01:44 am (UTC) - Expand

Thank you for that cursed visual, omg

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-12-14 04:40 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-12-15 06:35 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-12-18 08:34 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ladyevangelinenix - Date: 2023-12-19 05:44 pm (UTC) - Expand

Profile

forrestertailor: Illustration of a black vampire with an impressive black and white tinged beard. He is calm and very handsome with bright yellow eyes. (Default)
Luka Forrester

August 2026

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
910 1112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 5th, 2026 11:45 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios